Visa and residence permits

The Swedish Migration Board processes all the residence permit applications of non-EU/EEA citizens visiting Sweden. The process of managing student visa applications normally takes several months due to the large number of applicants. Many students have failed to begin their master studies because they applied late for the student visa to Sweden. We recommend that you prepare your visa application in advance so that you can apply immediately after you receive the acceptance letter.

Note: The application for residence permit for studies will not be processed until the tuition fee for the first semester is paid.

The Swedish Migration Board does not grant a residence permit for students admitted to:

less than full-time studies (30 ECTS per semester) or
internet-based or distance courses.

More information:
Swedish Migration Board

Page Editor: Agnetha Frick

Print page

Student Counsellor

Study Counsellor
Informatics, Umeå University
SE-901 87 Umeå, Sweden 

Visiting Address
MIT-huset, Campustorget 5, 4 floor

Tel:  +46 90 786 7742

Contact Form